Office and Communications Manager
Remuneration: To be confirmed
Location: Kingston Mosque
Time commitment: 20 hours per week, flexible working other than Fridays
Reporting to Chair and Vice-Chair of the Board of Trustees
This is a developing contracted role that will enable a motivated and pro-active individual to work flexibly and, at times, remotely. This individual will be the first point of contact of the organisation whose aim is to create and sustain a hub for the local Muslim community, built on conservative Islamic practice, which meets the contemporary intellectual, spiritual and social needs of British Muslims and wider society.
• To develop a formal office service, including formal opening times, dealing with initial contact for any queries or needs from the public.
• To oversee all aspects of the Friday prayers service, ensuring the standard operating procedure is strictly adhered to.
• To be responsible for all administration and communication that is required at the KMA office.
• To ensure a degree of flexibility in working hours enabling timetabled activities such as occasional lectures on weekends, or services such as funerals to be executed smoothly.
• To manage all communications in a timely manner, such as answering emails and post, updating the website for events and prayer times, sending newsletters via email, and managing social media streams.
• To oversee the implementation and running of an online office management tool for the organisation (Google office)
• To manage the administrative dairy of the organisation
• To aid in the adherence of health and safety policy and procedure
• To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
• To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
• To help protect and manage the property of the organisation
• To help establish and ensure proper use of organisational funds.
The above list of duties is indicative only and not exhaustive. The individual will be expected to perform all such additional duties as are reasonably commensurate with the role.
Individuals are sought who have a strong empathy with our mission to develop Kingston Mosque into a religious hub with well-run services. Experience and skills in basic office administration, IT, website maintenance, and social media are essential. Furthering the cause of faith combined with an in-depth understanding of our work and ambitions are particularly sought. In the medium term, the trustees have published a manifesto that prioritises our aims for the next two years, candidates are advised to read it (here).
• Successful experience of operating within a team and meeting deadlines and objectives
• Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues
• A proven track record of administrative skills
• A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
• A history of impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
• A track record of commitment to promoting equality, racial diversity and religiosity
Knowledge, skills and understanding:
• Commitment to the organisation and a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
• Preparedness to uphold the organisational values, aims, and decisions
• Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
• Good, independent judgement
• An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of the organisation
• An ability to work effectively as a member of a team and individually
• An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees, and employees
• Speaks English as a first language
• Demonstrates a good basic grounding in Islamic theology
• Excellent writing skills, knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs.
• An ability to work with legal documents and undertake basic accounting
• An understanding of western society and societal norms and culture
Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter.